Liposuction can be understood as cosmetic surgery that helps in removal of excess fat. This kind of cosmetic surgery is quite popular in the modern times, as unhealthy lifestyle habits have made the problem of obesity on a rise. The procedure comprises of suction of fat from different regions of the body such as buttocks, thighs, chin, arm, abdomen and even neck in accordance to the medical advice. In general, this procedure is conducted as an out-patient facility in a fully equipped medical clinic.
This procedure does not require an overnight stay. The surgery has been made easier and safer with the aid of modern technology. It is usually recommended for removal of small from specific area in moderate amounts. However, claims have been made for removal of about fat weighing about 4 stone. A medical expert is the best to suggest an appropriate amount of fat to be removed in accordance to your medical conditions. Liposuction method is no alternative for diet or exercise, and should be undergone solely under critical health conditions that could have dangerous complications.
Types of Liposuction
There are basically three types of chin, neck and arm liposuction techniques. These are enlisted below:
- Laser-assisted liposuction: this makes use of low-energy waves to liquefy the fat. The fat is removed by means of a small cannula.
- Tumescent liposuction: this technique involves local anesthesia given to specific areas selected for liposuction. After the anesthesia is given to the patient, he or she is injected with a solution containing lidocaine and epinephrine in the fatty tissue before carrying out the traditional liposuction method.
- Ultrasound –assisted liposuction: This technique makes use of ultrasound to help liquefy the fat that makes liposuction much easier. It is primarily used for liposuction in areas such as upper abdomen, backs as well as thighs.
Irrespective of the type of liposuction is chosen, it always advisable to be fit before undergoing a treatment. The chances of a fit person are higher for a speedy recovery. After the surgery, the body of the patients is usually wrapped with elastic bandages. This practice helps the patients to get relief from any potential swelling, pain and even bruising. You may be required to wear a compression garment for duration of about 3-4 weeks that would help the body to get customized to its new shape. In general, you could expect swelling or bruising for about 7-10 days. In addition to this, it is quite likely that you may experience fluid flowing from the incisions for a few days, and antibiotics might be prescribed for relief.
The liposuction surgery does involve a few risks both temporary and permanent. It is better to know about the possible risks that can be encountered as a consequence of the surgery. Enlisted below are some of the disadvantages or side-effects:
- The treated area may show traces of uneven surfaces
- It is quite usual to develop temporary swelling, soreness, bruising, as well as numbness.
- Insertion of cannulas or tubes may cause slight scarring and even Irritation the incision areas.
- Although the skin would tighten and retract within a few months but one is likely to get baggy or rippling skin soon after the treatment. However, in some rare case, the skin remains loose.
It is a good practice to understand the implications of the surgery, and consider your medical wellness to undergo the treatment. Liposuction is no recommended for people with heart problems, blood clotting disorders and even during pregnancy.
Medical science has definitely made great advancement to benefit the mankind. However, one should extremely cautious while undergoing any medical treatment. Liposuction is a boon for the obese struggling with health issues, only if conducted by an experienced surgeon. It may sound quite simple, but this procedure could actually transform your life and personality. Therefore, it is advisable to make a decision upon proper considerations of the pros and cons of the treatment. Make sure to keep liposuction surgery and other cosmetic procedures distant if the same area is to be treated, as it may not be advisable for safety considerations.
Looking to shape your body? Visit our body body contouring & liposculpture page.